February 21, 2011

Splish Splash

Now that we've covered the basics about how to establish a fish tank, we can get on to the most exciting part. Putting fish in your tank! Some people like to have tanks with only one or two species in them, others like to keep community tanks. In case you didn't already know, I love community tanks. I have so many different types of fish in one tank, its a huge habitat. I love having different types because it makes my tank interesting to look at. Let's cover how to get the fish safely from the water bag at the pet store, to your Established Tank.

  1. Place the bags of fish into your tank (Make sure your tank has been established for at least 72 hours)
  2. Be patient, you must allow the temperature of the water in the bags to coincide with that of the temperature in your tank. This is a gentle process, it produces much less shock than if you were to pour the fish into the tank immediately. I suggest about 35-45 min. of waiting time.
  3. Open the bag and carefully pour the fish into the tank,  including the water that is in the bag. This helps balance your tank, and keep your fish stable.

Now that you have placed fish into a new tank you must keep your eye on them. Watch them more frequently in these first few hours and days than you do at any other time, if something goes wrong you'll be able to notice this due to their behavior. Some fish even change colors when they aren't feeling well.

Well I hope your fish enjoy their new home!!

7 comments:

brittany said...

enjoy your blog....I have a fish tank and this helps me out.

Erica Smith said...

Wow, there's a lot more to taking care of fish than I thought.

Raz said...

Who would have thought fish were so complicated... good tips though. :)

Melanie said...

Your information and tips are great for owning a fish! I've owned lots of fish and have never once let them adjust to the tank water with the method you've shared. I think I'll grab my fishbowl and a new fish to try to be a better fish owner because fish don't get the credit for being such great pets that they deserve!

Brett Underwood said...

I agree with Erica! Taking care of fish is not as simple as I imagined it to be. I'm enjoying following along with your blog and finding out how to start and keep up with my own fish tank!

Dimples said...

Thanks all of you for your feedback! I'm glad everyone is a bit surprised with how much work maintaining a fish tank can be. I hope this doesn't discourage any of you from starting your own tank soon! :D As always feel free to comment or contact me for questions!

Rebecca said...

Your posts are very informative and you're very knowledgeable on the subject. Our family had a fish once but it didn't last long (I think we overfed it). We definitely could've used your advice/blog back then. :)